Saturday, January 1, 2011

Books and Reading


I quote others in order to better express my own self. (Montaigne in The Book of Choices by Mike Magee, Introduction page)

******

For a number of years I've pursued an annual reading program. The idea is to select a stack of books I want to read at the beginning of the year and then read a page each day from all of the books in the stack. This works particularly well when the books selected are designed for daily devotional or spiritual reading. All books with 365 pages are finished on the same day, December 31st. Shorter books are finished at various times during the year.

In 2010 I used a free program, CSVEd, to maintain a file of the books I planned to read and to record the completion date for each one. I'm going to use the same program again in 2011. Here's a list of the nineteen books, including a few carry-overs, I selected to read, output from the program.
  • Andrews, Andy - The Noticer
  • Anonymous - One Day At A Time In Al-Anon
  • Barclay, William - The Letters to the Galatians and Ephesians
  • Case, Steve - Everything Counts
  • Graham, Billy - Hope For Each Day
  • Hughes, Selwyn & Thomas Kinkade - Every Day Light
  • Larsen, Earnie & Carol Hegarty - Believing In Myself
  • Magee, Mike - A Book of Choices
  • Rice, Helen Steiner - From The Heart
  • Rice, Helen Steiner - A Collection of Blessings
  • Schucman, Helen and William Thetford - A Course in Miracles
  • Thoreau, Henry David - Walden
  • Tolle, Eckhart A New Earth - Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
  • Tolstoy, Leo - The Gospel In Brief
  • Various Authors - The Upper Room Disciplines - 2003
  • Various Authors - The Upper Room Disciplines - 2008
  • Various Authors - Daily Guideposts - 2009
  • Wiersbe, Warren W. - Chapter-By-Chapter Bible Commentary
I'm using the weRead application, in conjunction with Facebook, to record all of the books I've read over a period of years as well as the books I plan to read this year. When I post information about a book to weRead I can also have the information posted to my Facebook Wall.

I encourage all friends and relatives to spend some of your spare time this year exploring the wonderful experience of reading books.

Mr. Dickie
1/Jan/2011 13:47

No comments: