Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Online File Storage

Never promise more than you can deliver.
(Toni Sortor and Pamela McQuade, The Word on Life, 31 July)

*******

Heavy rain with local flooding was predicted for the early morning hours. I woke up at 7:00 a.m. to the sound of the rain falling. Some of the spots that typically flood we already causing problems. West of us more trees fell bringing down the power lines again. At the power company hearing yesterday they admitted that PEPCO has one of the worst records for power outages in the country. I think they admitted that they have been cutting costs by failing to trim the trees near the power lines. Now we are all paying the price.

I'm doing some review of online file storage options. I discovered that some options won't work on this computer because the operating system, Windows 2000, isn't supported. Months ago I tried out Mozy on the laptop that stopped working. It appears they closed my trial account. In February 2007 I signed up for 1GB of free storage on Box.Net. That account was still active. That's where I host two PDF files for the Wichita - East High Class of '57 group. Box.Net works well with Facebook. It's also easy to share the address of a file with friends. I uploaded a Stauffer / Cooley PDF and then sent the link to my friend, Vickie, and myself to test. You can purchase 10GB for $10.00 and 15GB for $15.00 a month. I'm worried about this computer failing.

Mr. Dickie
18/Aug/2010 7:49

No comments: