Friday, June 3, 2011

Windows 7

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. (Native American Saying, The Book Of Choices by Mike Magee, M.D., p.193)

The threat of publicity ... [is not a] bad thing, if it keeps a man in the right way ... (William Barclay, The Letters To Timothy, p. 136)

******

Yesterday I attended the computer club meeting. There was no scheduled speaker. Dan Lee let us hook up his laptop which is using the Windows 7 operating system. Bob Blum answered some of our Windows 7 questions using Dan's computer. This is rather disconcerting for the computer owner because things get changed on the computer. Another member brought in two desktop computers. They hooked them together with a cable and a program called Easy Transfer in an attempt to move her data and photos from one machine to the other. This didn't go well. Some of us made other suggestions of ways to accomplish her goal if she didn't want to keep the programs. Several other little discussions broke out in the room. I wasn't feeling well and my hearing problems all of the noise made it difficult to follow what was going on at the front of the room. I decided to leave early. I left with more knowledge of how Windows 7 works, or doesn't. I think my notes will help me solve the problem I was having when I tried to find Windows Explorer.

I'm trying to do a little more each day with the new laptop computer. It isn't easy. The Windows 7 interface is markedly different than Windows Professional 2000. I was able to get the sound working again on the laptop. I have no idea why it broke. Apparently a driver was selected that turned off the speakers on the computer. The speakers on the big monitor are still not working.

I have two Internet browsers installed on the laptop: Internet Explorer 9 and Chrome. I intend to install Firefox too. That's the browser I have been using on my desktop computer. I was able to start the Chrome browser for the first time. Both browsers display the Toshiba homepage when they start. I may change that later.

I noticed that it's possible to create photo albums for Facebook Groups. I created one for our family group and uploaded a couple of photos to make sure it works.

I also used Facebook to take two photos with the webcam on the laptop and upload them to Facebook.

Mr. Dickie
3/Jun/2011 8:40

No comments: