Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Possessions


[The goal of advertising is to create] ... another catchy way to have us spend money we don't have to buy things we don't need to impress people we don't like. (The Upper Room Disciplines - 2008, 30 June)

As humans, we have a natural propensity toward addiction ... Too many of us spend too much of our time accumulating stuff and things that fill our time but do not fulfill our lives, we seek more and more and obtain less and less. (The Upper Room Disciplines - 2008, 24 June)

We're always in danger of ending up possessed by our possessions. (Johann Christoph Arnold, Escape Routes, p. 44)

... whatever you're dragging around could kill you. (Johann Christoph Arnold, Escape Routes, p. 80)

Sometimes the best thing I can do with things that seem well worth keeping is to give them away. (Karen Barber, Daily Guideposts - 2010, 13 January)

The greatest disappointment (and resulting pain) you can feel is when you have just experienced that which you thought would bring you the ultimate in pleasure - and it has let you down.  Pleasure without boundaries produces life without purpose. (Ravi Zacharias, The End Of Reason, p. 41)

Since every choice I make rules out the alternatives and since I won't live long enough to do everything, my choices say something about what I value most. (Harold S. Kushner, The Lord Is My Shepherd, p. 89)

... I will never feel deprived or diminished if I don't get what I yearn for, because I know how blessed I am by what I have. (Harold S. Kushner, The Lord Is My Shepherd, p. 36)
29 February 2012


No comments: