Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pearl Harbor Day - 7 Dec 1941


Let us always remember that any society ...that cannot freely [admit and] correct its own faults must surely fall into decay if not into collapse. (As Bill Sees It, p. 65)

******

The 69th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day, 7 Dec 1941. If you are interested in reading a book about this event I recommend, "At Dawn We Slept." Donald M. Goldstein and Katherine V. Dillon compiled the book from the manuscripts of Gordon W. Prange. All were associated with the University of Maryland at College Park, MD.

The Army ROTC department at my alma mater, Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kansas is conducting a fund raising campaign to raise funds to build a new rappelling tower. I received a commission as a second lieutenant from this program. I wasn't exposed to rappelling until Ranger training at Fort Benning, GA.

Today we are experiencing a second day of very cold wind that is making the flags stand straight out. There is no sign of snow yet, but it's only a matter of time. Our planning is off, Melva's car needs gas. I'm ready for the task. I got my gloves, scarf and knit cap out of the dresser drawer. We also have a supply of new snow shovels to replace one that was stolen last year. I talked to two men from Riverdale who said they will come to do snow removal when the time comes.

Mr. Dickie
7/Dec/2010 7:57

No comments: