Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Welcoming The New Year

This year is a book of clean blank pages on which I will write a record of my experiences and my growth through the daily following of my program. ...

I can live my life only one day at a time.

Perhaps my confusion and despair are so great that I will have to take it one hour at a time, or one minute at a time, reminding myself constantly that I have authority over no life but my own.
(One Day At A Time In Al-Anon, 1 January)

I know that constant dwelling on my troubles lessens my ability to see them clearly and make wise decisions. I will not complicate the present by reviewing the past; nor will I dread what may happen tomorrow. One way to make detachment easier is to eliminate the past and future from my thoughts.
(One Day At A Time In Al-Anon, 16 November)

******

2013 Reading Program

On December 31st, 2013 I completed my 2013 daily reading program when I finished 7 books.  I finished reading only fifteen of the books I selected to read this year.  I used the CSVed program to record and track my reading program. At some point during the year I stopped reading for a while. I don't remember why that happened.  Later, I resumed reading on a daily basis and attempted to catch up.  At the end of the year I was still reading several books. I'll continue to read those books in 2014 until I finish (noted with an asterisk *).

Anonymous - One Day At A Time In Al-Anon *
Buechner, Frederick - Listening To Your Life *
Carrington, Rebecca - Promises of Joy
Casey, Karen - Keepers of the Wisdom
Cloud, Dr. Henry & Dr. John Townsend - Boundaries Face To Face
Dyer, Dr. Wayne W. - The Sky's The Limit *
Dyer, Dr. Wayne W. - The Power Of Intention
Feiler, Bruce - Learning To Bow
Griffith, Harry & Emily - This Love We Share *
Jeremiah, David - Journey - Your Daily Adventure With God *
Jones, Laurie Beth - The Path
Maxwell, John C. - Leadership - Promises For Every Day
Moore, Beth - Praying God's Word Day By Day *
Moore, Thomas - Dark Nights Of The Soul
Pinkney, Maggie (Compiler) - Pocket Positives For Our Times
Sawyer, John F.A. - Isaiah Volume 2
Sheey, Gail - Understanding Men's Passages
Shield, Benjamin and Richard Carlson - For The Love Of God
Smedes, Lewis B. - A Pretty Good Person
Various Authors - The One Year Book Of Bible Readings *
Various Authors - Daily Guideposts - 2012
Virtue, Doreen - I'd Change My Life If I Had Time

2014 Reading Program

I selected thirty books for my 2014 daily reading program.  I've read several of them before.  I'm aware that this is an ambitious goal.  I'm hopeful that my interest will be equal to the task.  New glasses, purchased in 2013, have made it possible to read without so much eye strain.  I still use a magnifying glass when the font is tiny.

Keep a journal of your reading. List the books you read and jot down notes about them -- the characters you found interesting, the images that lingered on in your mind. Copy out your favorite passages and quotations. At a later date you can use your journal to revisit favorite passages or find a passage suited to your particular mood. (1,001 Ways To Relax, Mike George, #848)

For many years I've read from one or more copies of Daily Guideposts.  I never buy a new copy. Last year I bought a large print copy of the 2012 edition.  I don't own a copy of the 2013 edition yet. Rather than order a used copy I plan to find a used copy to purchase locally to avoid paying postage.  I've read all editions of these books through 2012.

On September 1st, 2013 I purchased Volumes 41 & 44 of Three Minutes A Day by The Christophers and Night Light by Amy E. Dean and The Color of Light by Perry Tilleraas. Starting on that day I read a page each day from these books until the end of the year. I plan to continue reading these books starting on the January 1st page today. (Books carried over are marked with an asterisk *)

Al-Anon - Hope For Today
Alcoholics Anonymous - Daily Reflections
Anonymous - One Day At A Time In Al-Anon
Aurelius, Marcus - Meditations
Buechner, Frederick - Listening To Your Life *
Cloud, Henry - The Secret Things Of God
Cloud, Henry & John Townsend, God Will Make A Way
Crowe, Sandra A. - Since Strangling Isn't An Option
Dargatz, Jan - 52 Simple Ways To Give Your Spiritual Life A Lift
Dean, Amy E. - Night Light *
Dyer, Dr. Wayne W. - The Sky's The Limit *
Edwards, Jonathan - Basic Writings
Friends In Recovery - The Twelve Steps For Christians
Glovinsky, Cindy - Making Peace With The Things In Your Life
Griffith, Harry & Emily - This Love We Share *
Hay, Louise L. - Meditations To Heal Your Life
Jeremiah, David - Journey - Your Daily Adventure With God *
Kempis, Thomas 'A - The Imitation Of Christ
Lucado, Max - Grace For The Moment - Volume II
McConville, J.G. - I & II Chronicles
Moore, Beth - Praying God's Word Day By Day *
Moore, Thomas - Care Of The Soul
Osteen, Joel - Become A Better You
Ridenour, Fritz - So What's The Difference?
The Christophers - Three Minutes A Day - Volume 41 *
The Christophers - Three Minutes A Day - Volume 44 *
Tilleraas, Perry - The Color Of Light *
Various Authors - 100 Days Of Prayer For Women
Various Authors - The One Year Book Of Bible Readings *
Various Authors - Whispers Of Blessing 20130131 

Blogging Recap

During 2013 I continued my interest in blogging.  I posted to Mr. Dickie's Blog and Arrow Prayers on 286 of the 365 days in the year.  Here's a recap for each of the four blogs, listing in order: 
  • Blog name
  • Current Number of Blog Views
  • Number of Blog Posts
Mr. Dickie's Blog - 55794 - 1897
Arrow Prayers - 34488 - 2721
Henthorn Genealogy News - 79202 - 848
Henthorn Genealogy Obits - 29931 - 302

HenthornFamily Wiki

During the year, from time to time, I continued to post genealogy information to the HenthornFamily Wiki. Anyone interested in the genealogy of the Henthorn and collateral families is invited to view and contribute to the growth of the Wiki.

Best Wishes for the New Year
Mr. Dickie
1 Jan 2014




No comments: