Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Detachment


Self-importance is our greatest enemy.  Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen.  Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. (Carlos Castenada, in Touchstones, 4 February)

If you trust in appearances, you will quickly be deceived; if you look for comfort and gain in others, you will often be disappointed. (Thomas 'A Kempis, The Imitation Of Christ, Book 2, Chapter 7, p. 71)

You will not depend on someone once they have let you down. (Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today! 19 February)

I will not permit myself to become emotionally involved in matters that should not be my concern.  I will not interfere with the working out of another's difficulties, however dear and close we may be to each other.  Detachment is essential to any healthy relationship between people.  Each of us is a free individual, with neither one in control of the other. (One Day At A Time In Al-Anon, 23 February)

Trying to analyze why another person persists in destructive behavior cannot help me out of my own difficulties.  I can overcome them only by turning my thoughts inward, to face my own mistakes and to learn how to improve myself. ... My problem is "me." ... I will not waste time and energy trying ... [to figure out other people.]  I will concentrate on figuring out why I do what I do. (One Day At A Time In Al-Anon, 27 February)

It is not self-loving, nor is it loving to others involved, to allow yourself to be mentally, emotionally, or physically abused in hope that things can, or will, get better. (Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today! 8 February)

The simplest and usually the most reasonable way to deal with grumpy people who are not willing to change is to stay away from them. (Dr. Wayne W. Dyer, Pulling Your Own Strings, p. 110)

My program teaches this about fault finding.  When you think it's not your fault, it probably is. (Richard E. Henthorn, 25 January 2012)

Richard Henthorn's Dewey Decimal Section:
222 Historical books of Old Testament

Class:
200 Religion

Contains:
The Bible and other religious texts, books about the general philosophy and theory of religion.

What it says about you:
You don't mind thinking about the unknown or other very big ideas. You will never feel like your work is finished. The 200-series is dominated by Christian topics, so you may feel like you're constantly surrounded by Christians.
Find your Dewey Decimal Section at Spacefem.com

6 March 2012

No comments: