Sunday, January 7, 2018

Microsoft One Drive

Microsoft OneDrive

I have a free account on Microsoft OneDrive. As part of my new year housekeeping I wanted to review how much storage they gave me. I had a 3x5 card with information about the account. I wanted to verify that I started with a 15Mb account and that they later added an additional  10Mb.

I couldn't find where I should click to view my storage. After stumbling around for ten or fifteen minutes I spotted the information. It's probably no surprise, to people who know me, that after I confirmed what was on the 3x5 card I still wasn't able to find my way back to the storage information to look at it a second time.

As I went through the relearning process I noticed that there was no bookmark to OneDrive visible on my computer.

I use a program called, igHome as my computer start page. At the top of the display there is a black toolbar where I can store twelve links. I was using eleven for links to: Gmail, Facebook; Box, etc. I copied the link to OneDrive and pasted it to the toolbar.

My new link takes me to the OneDrive sign-on screen.  After I enter my user name and password the link displays the first page of my OneDrive account. On the left sidebar, near the bottom of the page, is a line of text that displays how much storage I have and how much is in use.

I also noticed that there is a supposedly easy way to use OneDrive for backup. If I every knew how to do this I have forgotten. That's another possible new year project.

Dick Henthorn
7 Jan 2018

No comments: