Monday, November 3, 2014

Danger


There is danger in taking on another's duty - danger that we may neglect our own, and that we may deprive them of what they may learn from finding their own solutions.
(One Day At A Time In Al-Anon, 7 May)

******
I think we solved a long-standing problem with our house yesterday. For a long time whenever we had high winds we heard a noise at the back of the house.  I checked the three windows, the gutters and the aluminum siding. I couldn't locate the loose piece. This weekend our daughter, Cyndi, told me to check the basement door. This door, with a doorknob lock and a deadbolt lock, was moving back and forth about 1/4 of an inch whenever we experience fluctuating wnds . I wonder if this problem manifested after the earthquake we had several years ago. I devised a temporary fix. I wedged a screwdriver between the deadbolt and the door jam. This moved the door slightly inward and stopped the back and forth movement in the wind. I wouldn't have found the problem myself. I swore the sound was coming from above ground.  The joys of home ownership never cease.

Dick Henthorn
3 November 2014

No comments: