Thursday, October 16, 2008

Trip to Nebraska and Kansas

Photo: Mr. Dickie (Company "B" Mascot - Susie, in Korea 1962-63)

Very often we find that what we think is the matter, is not the matter at all. (Iyanla Vanzant, Faith in the Valley, p. 270)

I returned from my visit to Nebraska and Kansas on Saturday the 11th. In Omaha, Nebraska I visited with cousins, Fran, Roma, Larry and their families. In Wichita, Kansas I visited with my college roommate, Tom and his wife, Karen. Everything thing went well. I had a very nice time. I flew on Midwest Airline. They fly beautiful Boeing 717 aircraft. There are only four seats in each row. It's much more comfortable than any of the planes I was on during the trip to Oregon in May. I took about 250 photographs. Everyone went out of their way to show me a good time. I returned home with many nice memories.

While I was on the trip I received an Email notification from AOL that at the end of October they will discontinue free website space and free journal space. This means that the information I've made available on my genealogy website for many years will no longer be available at the end of the month. The Arrow Prayers blog (journal) that I started in 2004 will also disappear. I'll probably create an Arrow Prayers blog on Google. I don't know what I'll do about the genealogy. It would take many hours of work to move the information to a new website.

While I was in Wichita I had fun learning how to record music and video on the computer of my friend, Tom. I spent one morning working on the project by myself while Tom was at work. We finally got it to work using Roxio and his combination DVD/CD drive. I was pleased that I was able to learn the steps and then show them to Tom.

Cyndi came to visit on Saturday night. She won a Craig MP3 player. She already bought a ScanDisc MP3 player for herself that she uses when she goes to the gym. She gave the new one to me as a gift. I've been busy learning how to use the device. It has at least 256MB of internal storage. You can add an additional 512MB with a memory card. I downloaded and installed a program called, ExpressRip, which I used to convert some CDs to MP3 format. I'd forgotten which program I used when I learned something about MP3 many months ago. The MP3 device came with a program to manage the movement of the music files to the device. I think I already reached the device capacity of about 105 songs. I bought a little blue booty bag at the thrift store half price sale on Monday. I'll use that to carry the device when I don't have a shirt pocket. I already went for one walk in "the hood" while listening to the music. I learned how to turn on the "shuffle" which plays the music at random. I also tested the device in our minivan. I was able to play the music through the van cassette tape player. That's neat!

Mr. Dickie
Posted by Picasa

No comments: